Become a part of the WashU philanthropic team!
A Student Advancement Ambassador (SAA) will engage and form relationships with alumni, parents, and friends of Washington University in St. Louis. As a cohort of current undergraduate and graduate students, SAAs play a critical role in fostering connection and building rapport with all members of our community. Through personalized outreach and one-on-one conversations, SAAs help WashU alumni and donors stay connected, invested, and appreciated. SAAs work in close collaboration with SAA Program managers and university staff to execute engagement and communication strategies throughout the year, including unique opportunities to attend events, develop professional skills, and network with alumni and university leaders.
We welcome enthusiastic students who have a strong desire to represent WashU and meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled as a current, full-time undergraduate or graduate student at WashU.
- Superior oral and written communication skills with fluent command of the English language.
- Comfortable interacting with persons of all backgrounds, ages, perspectives, and affinities.
- Willingness to learn, receive feedback, provide feedback, and be a team player.
- Well-developed time management, organization, problem solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Prior work or volunteer experience in customer service, marketing, project management, sales, or office/administrative roles desired (but not required).
Primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Building relationships with alumni and other constituents of the WashU community through phone calls, texts, emails, videos, and ole’ fashioned notecards/hardcopy mailers.
- Interacting and engaging with individuals in-person at events and campus functions.
- Supporting complex projects by overseeing administrative, clerical, logistical, and strategic planning tasks.
- Communicating directly with alumni, parents, and friends to answer questions, process gifts, update database information, register for events, identify volunteer opportunities, or connect them to a university staff member.
- Performing research, preparing reports, and supporting other data management activities.
- Cultivating and actively contributing to a fun and collaborative environment that encourages professional development, networking, and teambuilding.
- Receive competitive pay, with a starting wage at $15/hour.
- Commit to at least 6 hours per week, with flexible daytime and evening schedules Monday-Saturday, and some occasional weekend opportunities.
- Paid training, professional development sessions, and attendance at special events.
- Attend a monthly all-staff meeting.
- Work in a collaborative, supportive, and joyful environment within the WashU Engagement Center, located at Alumni House, with a fully stocked supply of drinks, snacks, swag, and more.
- Serve on one internal working group, helping to drive the mission and impact of the SAA Program.
- Participate in team building activities and challenges, with the potential to earn prizes and other perks.