Interested in learning more about the field of advancement? We offer several rewarding student positions throughout the year.
WashU Digital Engagement Center
Offering flexible schedules, exceptional pay, and a great atmosphere, the Washington University Digital Engagement Center (sometimes referred to as the “call center” or “phonathon”) is a great year-round part-time employment option for students. The center facilitates projects and meaningful work that directly supports the mission of the university. Annual Fund gifts made through student ambassadors’ efforts help support scholarships and fellowships, elevate the student experience, enhance collaboration in academic programs, recruit and retain notable faculty, facilitate groundbreaking research, and much more!
The Digital Engagement Center is typically staffed with 50-60 undergraduate and graduate student ambassadors whose academic pursuits, backgrounds, identities, and passions are representative of our diverse campus and alumni populations. Ambassadors connect with more than 40,000 WashU alumni, parents, and friends each year to build relationships, update demographic information, and secure annual financial support. Students earn a starting wage of $12.50 per hour with opportunities for monthly bonuses, special incentives, and flexible working hours and arrangements to accommodate academic and personal schedules.
Student ambassadors are essential to helping advance the mission of the university by building and maintaining strong relationships with alumni, parents, and friends of WashU.
Reports to: Digital Engagement Center Manager
The goal of a student ambassador is to successfully contact WashU’s alumni, parents, and friends in the effort to enhance relationships and represent the university in a friendly manner, provide institutional updates, collect demographic information, and secure Annual Fund financial support. This work is conducted through many channels, including phone and email.
This position requires excellent communications skills, a problem-solving mentality, the ability to think on your feet in a fast-paced environment, and a genuine affinity for Washington University. Working on the Digital Engagement Center (DEC) team is a great opportunity to improve your communication, fundraising, networking, and public relations skills for life after WashU.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as an ambassador of WashU by establishing an open and engaging line of communication between the university and its supporters.
- Gain an understanding of the university, its organizational structure, and its annual needs for financial support.
- Contact alumni, parents, and friends to build rapport and solicit donations.
- Update constituent contact information.
- Conduct self as a professional and polite representative of Washington University.
- Collect and enter accurate data into database.
- Meet/exceed goals as outlined by the DEC Manager including, but not limited to, efficiency and statistical performance.
- Fulfill scheduled shifts and projects as set for by DEC Manager.
- Currently enrolled at Washington University in St. Louis (including both undergraduate and graduate degree programs).
- Commitment to work at least nine (9) hours per week.
- Articulate command of the English language with strong oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively on the phone and in person.
- Proficient basic computer skills.
- Complete and pass new-hire training.
- Must be able to work in an environment where the noise level is moderate.
- Customer service experience.
- Positive, energetic attitude.
- Strong desire to achieve goals and accept direction.
- Solid organizational and time management skills.
- Comfort speaking on the phone with individuals of all backgrounds, generations, and experiences.
- Starting compensation of $12.50 per hour.
- Opportunities for earn more through monthly bonuses, special incentives, and extra shifts.
- No FWS required and F-1/J-1 Visa eligible.
- No prior fundraising experience required—training and ongoing coaching is provided.
- Complimentary coffee, water, snacks, swag, and other perks!
- Potential leadership and professional development experiences.
- Resume building: develop strong public relations, fundraising, communication, and marketing skills.
- Networking: connect with alumni, parents, and friends from a large variety of professions, regions, identities, and passions for the university.
- Pathways to full-time career opportunities in many different areas. Experience working in the DEC gives perspective into higher education fundraising that is extremely desirable.
Standard DEC shift hours
Sunday, 3:00–9:00 p.m. CST
Monday–Thursday, 6:00–9:00 p.m. CST
DEC Location and address
6510 Wallace Circle
St. Louis, MO 63105
The Digital Engagement Center can be accessed through the door on the west side of Alumni House (on the South 40, across from WashU Wash near the clock tower).